A cold weather favorite, peppermint, chocolate, and coffee are combined to create this delicious caffeinated drink.
About This Peppermint Mocha Latte
- A coffee drink flavored with sweet peppermint syrup and rich chocolate syrup that’s topped off with peppermint flavored whipped cream topping.
- Peppermint syrup and chocolate syrup can be homemade or store-bought. (Homemade is better but lasts only a couple of weeks in the refrigerator.)
- Coffee for this drink can be made in a coffee machine, Nespresso, Keurig, or French press. Espresso can also be used if you have an espresso machine at home.
- Strong coffee
Coffee made in a coffee machine, Nespresso, Keurig, or a French press can be used for this drink.
Any kind of milk can be used.
- Peppermint syrup
Use homemade or store-bought syrup. I prefer making my own since it’s only 3 ingredients: peppermint tea, water, and sugar.
- Chocolate syrup
Homemade or store-bought syrup can be used here too.
- Heavy cream
For the cream topping.
- Optional: Crushed candy cane
To garnish the drink.
Steps to Make Peppermint Mocha Latte
Here’s a quick overview of the steps to make this drink. For full ingredients and instructions, scroll down to the recipe.
- Make cream topping.
Peppermint syrup and heavy cream are whipped together to make the flavored cream topping using a handheld milk frother.
- Heat milk.
Warm milk on the stovetop, the microwave, an electric milk frother, or a steam wand from an espresso machine.
- Assemble drink.
Pour coffee into a cup and add warm milk, peppermint syrup, and chocolate syrup. Top with cream topping.
Notes & Tips
- Make it festive by garnishing the drink with chocolate syrup drizzle and crushed candy cane bits.
- The chocolate syrup is heaviest so it’ll sink down to the bottom of the cup so make sure to stir before drinking.
- Strong coffee can be made by using 2-3 tablespoons of ground coffee for every cup of water in a coffee machine.
- To make this drink with espresso, use 1-2 shots and steamed milk.
Questions You May Have
Instead of coffee, stir peppermint syrup and chocolate syrup into a cup of warm or steamed milk.
Starbucks makes their Peppermint Mocha Latte with espresso instead of strong coffee, steamed milk, and use their own mocha sauce and peppermint syrup. Their drink is topped with dark chocolate curls.
Mocha is chocolate flavored coffee. Without the chocolate syrup in the recipe, it would just be a peppermint latte.
Homemade is definitely better but store-bought is easier.
More Starbucks-Inspired Recipes
- Pumpkin Spice Latte
- Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew
- Irish Cream Cold Brew
- Salted Caramel Latte
- Iced Salted Caramel Latte
- Iced Vanilla Latte
Peppermint Mocha Latte
Peppermint Mocha Latte
Peppermint Cream Topping
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon peppermint syrup
- Make peppermint cream topping.Whip peppermint syrup and heavy cream using a handheld milk frother until it thickens. Soft peaks should form in just a few seconds.
- Heat milk.Heat milk in a microwave (30 seconds), simmer on the stovetop, or using the steam wand on an espresso machine.
- Assemble drink.Pour coffee into a cup and add warm milk, peppermint syrup, and chocolate syrup. Top with cream topping. Garnish by drizzling on chocolate syrup and adding some crushed candy cane.