Decadent pumpkin spice latte made with pumpkin spice syrup from scratch. See how easy it is to make this cozy drink at home.
About This Pumpkin Spice Latte
Nothing says fall like pumpkin spice latte (shortened to “PSL” to hardcore fans) and it’s the perfect morning or afternoon drink to warm you up in the cooler months.
- This pumpkin spice latte is made from scratch, using a homemade pumpkin spice syrup that’s added to the coffee and decadent cream topping.
- Don’t want to make pumpkin spice syrup from scratch? No problem! This recipe works with store-bought syrup too.
- Can be made with espresso or strong brewed coffee. A coffee machine, French press, Nespresso, or a Keurig will all work to make strong coffee.
- Pumpkin spice syrup is made with a blend of spices, pumpkin puree, and sugar so it flavors and sweetens the coffee. Recipe includes how to make one batch of pumpkin spice syrup so make it once and turn your regular coffee (or tea) into a pumpkin spice latte all week.
- Strong brewed coffee
Coffee from a drip coffee machine, Nespresso, or Keurig will all work. If you have an espresso machine, use shots of espresso instead of coffee.
Any kind of milk you prefer.
- Pumpkin spice syrup
You can buy the syrup or make it from scratch using the following ingredients: sugar, brown sugar, pumpkin puree, vanilla extract, ground cinnamon, ground ginger, ground nutmeg, and ground cloves.
- Heavy cream
To make the whipped cream topping.
- Optional: Ground cinnamon and cinnamon stick
To garnish, so it’s completely optional.
For full ingredients and instructions, scroll down to the recipe.
- Make pumpkin spice cream topping.
Use a handheld milk frother to whisk together pumpkin spice syrup and heavy cream. Set aside.
- Froth milk.
Heat milk on the stovetop or microwave then use a French press to froth. Or use an electric milk frother that will heat and froth at the same time. If you have an espresso machine, use the steam wand to froth the milk.
- Assemble drink.
Pour coffee into a cup and stir in frothed milk and pumpkin spice syrup. Top with pumpkin spice cream topping. Garnish with a dusting of ground cinnamon and a cinnamon stick.
How to Make Pumpkin Spice Syrup from Scratch
- Add all pumpkin spice ingredients into a saucepan and bring to a boil.
Stir to make sure sugar has completely dissolved.
A mesh strainer makes it easy to separate any solids.
- Cool and store pumpkin spice syrup in an airtight bottle.
It’ll keep in the refrigerator for about a week. Shake before using.
Dress up the drink with ground cinnamon and a stick of cinnamon to make it festive. The cinnamon stick is purely decorative, so it’s completely optional.
- Strong coffee made in a coffee machine
Use your regular coffee machine but make the coffee strong by using more coffee grounds than you normally would for a cup of coffee. Use 2-3 tablespoons of ground coffee to make one cup.
Instead of strong coffee, use 2 shots of espresso and add water to make a cup.
- Nespresso or Keurig
Use a pod or capsule to make one cup of coffee. A dark roast would be best.
- My trick to making perfect whipped cream for drinks is to use a handheld milk frother. It literally takes seconds to make fluffy whipped cream.
- The whipped cream topping can both be made ahead of time. Store in the refrigerator in airtight container and it will keep for up to 2 days.
- The pumpkin spice syrup can also be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator in an airtight bottle for up to a week.
Questions You May Have
Espresso would be my first choice then any strong coffee made from a coffee machine, Nespresso, or Keurig.
The one at Starbucks is made with espresso, steamed milk (the same kind of milk used in lattes), Starbucks’ pumpkin spice sauce, whipped cream, and a pumpkin spice topping.
It’s a blend of ground cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves. AND sulfiting agents, whatever chemicals those are.
Pumpkin Spice Latte
Pumpkin Spice Latte
Pumpkin Spice Cream Topping
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin spice syrup
- Make pumpkin spice cream topping. Use a handheld milk frother to whisk together pumpkin spice syrup and heavy cream. Set aside.The cream topping can be made ahead of time and kept in the refrigerator for 2 days in an airtight container. Give it a stir to fluff it back up.
- Froth milk.Bring milk to a simmer on the stovetop, making sure it doesn't come to a boil since it can easily burn, or microwave it for 30 seconds. Pour heated milk into a French press, put the lid on, and move the plunger up and down, making sure to hold down the lid. Or, heat and froth milk at the same time using an electric milk frother. If you have an espresso machine, froth milk using the steam wand.
- Assemble drink.Into a cup of coffee, stir in frothed milk and pumpkin spice syrup. Top with pumpkin spice cream topping. Garnish with a dusting of ground cinnamon and a cinnamon stick.
FREE CHEAT SHEET!
Join my email list and get this iced coffee drinks cheat sheet.