Chocolate and caramel flavors combined with coffee and milk make a delicious drink. Easy homemade caramel whipped cream adds a sweet touch.
About This Salted Caramel Mocha
- If you love Salted Caramel Lattes, you’ll love this mocha version. It’s a delicious coffee drink that’s salty and sweet from the salted caramel and rich from the chocolate.
- Strong coffee from a coffee machine, Nespresso, Keurig will work so no need for an espresso machine to make this drink at home. But if you have one, it can easily be made with espresso instead of brewed coffee.
- The drink can be made with homemade or store-bought chocolate syrup or caramel sauce. It’s super easy to make and comes together quick. Even with the fluffy homemade caramel cream topping.
- Strong coffee
Brew coffee a little stronger than you normally make in a coffee machine. Coffee made in a Nespresso or Keurig works great too.
Any kind of milk can be used.
- Chocolate syrup
Homemade chocolate syrup costs so much less to make per serving than store-bought. But store-bought syrup lasts longer in the refrigerator.
- Caramel sauce
Caramel sauce is not as easy to make at home like chocolate syrup so store-bought is the way to go.
- Sea salt
The absolute best sea salt EVER. Trust me.
- Heavy cream
To make the cream topping.
For full ingredients and instructions, scroll down to the recipe.
- Make cream topping.
Caramel sauce and heavy cream are whipped together using a handheld milk frother.
- Froth milk.
Heat milk on the stovetop or microwave then use a French press to froth. Or use an electric milk frother that will heat and froth at the same time. If you have an espresso machine, use the steam wand to froth the milk.
- Assemble drink.
Hot coffee, frothed milk, chocolate syrup, caramel sauce, go into a cup. Top with caramel cream topping, drizzle caramel syrup, and sprinkle on a little sea salt.
Notes & Tips
- Make homemade chocolate syrup at home using my easy recipe. The recipe makes a cup of syrup and you can use it all week to make mocha lattes like this drink and Peppermint Mocha Latte.
- The syrup and sauce will sink to the bottom so make sure to stir the drink before drinking.
- To get the Salted Caramel Mocha to taste as close to the drinks at coffee shops and Starbucks, it’s best to make it with espresso. (Here is the espresso machine I use and recommend.) To make this drink with espresso, use 1-2 shots and steamed milk.
Questions You May Have
Warm milk, caramel sauce, chocolate syrup, and a little salt will make this drink perfect for kids. Just replace any coffee in the recipe with warm or steamed milk.
The Salted Caramel Mocha at Starbucks is made with espresso, mocha sauce and toffee nut syrup. The drink includes ingredients like sodium benzoate, mono diglycerides, and soy lecithin while the homemade version of this drink includes ingredients you are more familiar with.
Mocha is drink that has a flavor combination of chocolate and coffee. If you take out the chocolate syrup in this recipe, it’s a Salted Caramel Latte.
More Starbucks-Inspired Recipes
- Peppermint Mocha Latte
- Pumpkin Spice Latte
- Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew
- Salted Caramel Latte
- Iced Salted Caramel Latte
Salted Caramel Mocha Latte
Salted Caramel Mocha Latte
Caramel Cream Topping
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons caramel sauce + more to drizzle on top
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- Make caramel cream topping.Whip caramel sauce and heavy cream using a handheld milk frother until it thickens. Soft peaks should form in just a few seconds.
- Froth milk.Bring milk to a simmer on the stovetop, making sure it doesn't come to a boil since it can easily burn, or microwave it for 30 seconds. Pour heated milk into a French press, put the lid on, and move the plunger up and down, making sure to hold down the lid. Or, heat and froth milk at the same time using an electric milk frother. If you have an espresso machine, froth milk using the steam wand.
- Assemble drink.Pour coffee into a cup and add frothed milk, salt, caramel sauce, and chocolate syrup. Top with cream topping. Garnish by drizzling on caramel sauce and sprinkling sea salt on top of the cream topping.