An incredibly simple way to make simple syrup for iced coffee and tea.
A super simple shortcut to adding sugar to iced drinks.
- Simple syrup is made with equal parts water and sugar.
- It’s great for sweetening cold drinks like cold brew coffee since it’s a liquid and it’s easy to stir in.
- Can be made with different types of sweeteners like honey and brown sugar.
See all syrups my simple syrup recipes.
My Trick to Making Simple Syrup
To make simple syrup the regular way, you need to heat water and granulated sugar in a saucepan and simmer for about 15 minutes.
My trick is to heat water in an electric kettle and combine hot water and sugar in a cup and stir until sugar dissolves.
No saucepan needed. In a pinch, you can just use hot water from the faucet.
Instead of regular white granulated sugar, you can make it with other sweeteners.
What You’ll Need
- Sugar (any kind)
- Filtered water
- Electric kettle
STEP 1: Boil water.
I use an electric kettle with a water temperature setting and set it to 180°F.
Since I want the simple syrup to cool down quickly, I don’t use boiling hot water.
Use filtered water if possible.
STEP 2: Combine sugar and hot water in a cup.
It’s equal parts sugar and water so if you add 1 tablespoon of hot water, you’ll need to add 1 tablespoon of sugar.
STEP 3: Stir until sugar dissolves. Let cool.
It’s ready to add to drink to iced coffee drinks.
- Brown sugar (how I usually make my simple syrup)
- Coconut sugar
- Date syrup
- Maple syrup
- Simple syrup can keep in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
- Don’t use boiling hot water — use hot enough water to dissolve the sugar yet can cool down quickly.
- Don’t want to use hot water at all? Put water and sweetener in an airtight container and shake vigorously until dissolved.
- Premade simple syrup can be bought if you don’t want to make it.
Quick & Easy Simple Syrup
- Boil water.I use an electric kettle with a water temperature setting and set it to 180°F. Use filtered water if possible.
- Combine sugar and hot water in a cup.
- Stir until sugar dissolves. Let cool.
- Simple syrup is a liquid so it’s easy to mix into cold drinks.
- Finer sugar will dissolve into hot water the quickest.
- Use hot water from the faucet instead of heating up water if you want to be lazy.
- Simple sugar can be made with different types of sweeteners like honey and maple syrup.
2 thoughts on “Quick Simple Syrup for Iced Drinks”
Simply simpler than simple syrup!! As always, you’re my go-to for tea. Once a tea girl, always tea. But, for the first time, I’m enjoying coffee.
Question: I use raw cane sugar in my tea, tea lattes, etc. Do you think raw cane sugar would work well with simple syrup used for coffee drinks?
Hi Jess, you can make simple syrup with the raw cane sugar for your iced tea and iced coffee drinks!