Sweeten your coffee and tea with brown sugar simple syrup for a caramel-like, deeper flavor than regular simple sugar.
About This Brown Sugar Syrup
- Brown sugar syrup is a simple syrup that’s made with brown sugar instead of white, granulated sugar. There’s just two ingredients: brown sugar and water.
- The brown sugar is dissolved into hot water which makes it easy to add into drinks, especially, iced beverages. Since it’s a liquid, the syrup mixes easily in with the cold beverage, without any sugar sitting at the bottom of the drink.
- The syrup can be used in iced and hot drinks like coffee and tea.
- This recipe makes a cup of brown sugar syrup and 1-2 tablespoons can be used to flavor and sweeten your coffee or tea.
- Brown sugar has a deep, caramel-like flavor since it’s made with molasses. Light and dark brown sugar can be used to make the syrup.
Make simple syrups at home to make cafe-quality drinks at home. Make chocolate syrup to make Iced Mocha, pumpkin spice syrup to make Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew, and mint syrup to make Peppermint Mocha Latte. See them all here.
- Brown sugar
Light or dark brown sugar can be used to make this syrup. The darker the sugar, the darker the color of the syrup. The difference between light and dark brown sugar is how much molasses in it and the more there is, the more caramel and toffee flavor the syrup will have.
Use filtered water for a better tasting simple syrup.
Steps to Make Brown Sugar Sugar
Here’s a quick overview of the steps to make this syrup. For full ingredients and instructions, scroll down to the recipe.
- Put brown sugar and water in a saucepan and simmer.
Stir to make sure sugar dissolves completely.
- Take off heat and cool.
- Pour syrup into an airtight container.
Notes & Tips
- Any kind of brown sugar works but if you want a richer, more caramel-like flavor, go for dark brown sugar since it contains more molasses.
- This recipe makes a cup of brown sugar syrup which is 16 tablespoons. Use 1-2 tablespoons of syrup to sweeten each cup.
- The syrup is good for 3 weeks when stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Syrup can be used to sweeten coffee, tea, lattes, and cocktails.
Questions You May Have
It’s not necessary to boil the water. You can even stir brown sugar in hot water until the sugar dissolves.
Yup, you can make a brown sugar steamer which is brown sugar syrup stirred into a cup of warm milk. It’s basically a kid-friendly latte. Use 1-2 tablespoons of syrup into a cup.
Brown sugar is white sugar with molasses added. You can make brown sugar at home if you have the two ingredients. To make dark brown sugar, combine a cup of white sugar and 1/4 cup of molasses. (Use any kind of molasses except blackstrap.)
More Simple Syrup Recipes
- Chocolate Syrup to make Iced Mocha
- Pumpkin Spice Syrup to make Pumpkin Spice Latte
- Mint Syrup to make Peppermint Mocha Latte
- Vanilla Syrup to make Iced Vanilla Latte
- Cinnamon Syrup
FREE CHEAT SHEET!
Join my email list and get this iced coffee drinks cheat sheet.
Simple Brown Sugar Syrup
- ¾ cup water
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- Put brown sugar and water in a saucepan and simmer.Stir to make sure sugar dissolves completely.
- Take off heat and cool.
- Pour syrup into an airtight container.The syrup will keep for 3 weeks in the refrigerator.
- Recipe makes 1 cup (16 tablespoons) of syrup.
- Use 1- 2 tablespoons of syrup per 1 cup of coffee.