So much better than store-bought, make this rich and delicious chocolate syrup at home with just a few simple ingredients.
About This Chocolate Syrup
- Sugar, water, double Dutch dark cocoa powder (the secret to make it rich and delicious), salt and vanilla extract are the only ingredients need to make this delicious, rich chocolate syrup at home.
- It’s super simple to make at home and so much better than store-bought chocolate syrup, like Hershey’s, that are loaded with chemicals.
- This recipes makes a cup of chocolate syrup that can be used to flavor and sweeten coffee and tea. Drizzled the syrup on ice cream or add it to milk to make chocolate milk.
- Add this chocolate syrup to coffee to turn your drink into mocha.
- Cocoa powder
This is key to making the best chocolate syrup so use high-quality cocoa powder. I recommend the King Arthur’s double Dutch dark cocoa, which makes this chocolate syrup so good.
Basic white sugar works great for this recipe.
This is THE BEST salt EVER. You’ll never want to use table salt again.
- Vanilla extract
Good quality vanilla extract goes a long way. It’s a flavor enhancer and it basically makes everything better.
I always use filtered water.
Here’s a quick overview of the steps to make this syrup. For full ingredients and instructions, scroll down to the recipe.
- Put all ingredients except vanilla extract into a saucepan and simmer.
Stir and make sure sugar dissolves completely.
- Cool down syrup and add vanilla extract.
- Pour syrup into an airtight container.
- Chocolate syrup will be thin right after cooking but will thicken a bit after it cools. It’ll still be pourable.
- Using good quality cocoa powder is necessary to make the best tasting chocolate syrup so if you’re going to spend extra money on any of the ingredients, have it be that.
- Chocolate syrup can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
- To flavor coffee or tea, add 1-2 tablespoons of chocolate syrup to each cup.
- To make hot chocolate or chocolate milk, add 1/4 cup syrup into hot or cold milk.
Questions You May Have
A hundred times yes! This recipe uses just 5 ingredients. Hershey’s has 12 and it includes things like high fructose corn syrup, xanthan gum, and artificial flavor. Plus, the homemade version just simply tastes better.
Chocolate sauce is usually made with cream and it’s thicker.
Vanilla extract will evaporate and the taste will weaken if you heat it for too long so it’s best to add it after the syrup has cooled a bit.
Use it as a topping for desserts like ice cream or as a dip for pretzels. I like to use it to make chocolate milk and hot chocolate.
Recipes Using Chocolate Syrup
Simple Chocolate Syrup
- Put water, sugar, cocoa powder, and salt into a saucepan. Simmer.Simmer until the sugar has completely dissolved. Stir occasionally. Heat for 30 more seconds on low heat then take off heat and cool.
- Add vanilla extract.Once the syrup has cooled a bit, stir in the vanilla extract.
- Pour syrup into an airtight container.The syrup will keep for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
- Recipe makes 1 cup (16 tablespoons) of chocolate syrup.
- Use 1-2 tablespoons of syrup per 1 cup of coffee.