All you need to make this simple syrup is cinnamon, brown sugar, and water. Add cinnamon flavor to your coffee and tea with this easy recipe.
About This Cinnamon Simple Syrup
- Cinnamon syrup is a flavored simple syrup made with just three ingredients: brown sugar, water, and cinnamon.
- Flavor and sweeten your coffee, tea, hot chocolate, and cocktails with this syrup. It’s especially good for iced drinks since it mixes easily into cold beverages.
- Make this recipe once and you’ve got cinnamon syrup to last you for days. The recipe makes a cup of syrup.
- So much more cost effective to make this syrup at home instead of buying it. Unlike store-bought, it’s made with ingredients you don’t have to Google.
Want more homemade syrups? Make chocolate syrup to make Iced Mocha, pumpkin spice syrup to make Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew, mint syrup to make Peppermint Mocha Latte, and vanilla syrup to make Iced Vanilla Latte. See them all here.
- Cinnamon sticks
Cinnamon sticks are preferred over ground cinnamon since it’s a better way to infuse into the simple syrup. Sticks give more of a subtle flavor compared to ground.
- Brown sugar
You can use light or dark brown sugar. Regular white sugar works too but I like the richer flavor of brown sugar.
Always go for filtered water if you can.
Steps to Make Cinnamon Syrup
Here’s a quick overview of the steps to make this syrup. For full ingredients and instructions, scroll down to the recipe.
- Put all ingredients in a saucepan and simmer.
Stir to make sure sugar dissolves completely.
- Take off heat and steep.
- Strain and pour syrup into an airtight container.
Notes & Tips
- There are two types of cinnamon (Ceylon and cassia) and either can be used to make this syrup. Ceylon cinnamon is considered by some to be “real cinnamon” and is of high quality. It’s not as easy to find as the cassia and is fairly expensive. Cassia is the cinnamon found in supermarkets in the US and is very affordable.
- A cup of cinnamon syrup is 16 tablespoons. Use 1-2 tablespoons of syrup for each cup to sweeten and flavor.
- The syrup can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- Use syrup in iced and hot tea, iced and hot coffee, lattes, cocktails, and milk.
Questions You May Have
Nope, it’s not necessary to let it boil. Just simmering and letting the sugar dissolve on low heat is enough to make the simple syrup.
Simple syrup is equal parts sugar and water. Rich syrup is two parts sugar and 1 part water so it has a thicker consistency.
Put 1-2 tablespoons of syrup into a cup of warm milk and stir. You can also add a little cinnamon syrup to hot chocolate or chocolate milk.
More Simple Syrup Recipes
- Chocolate Syrup to make Iced Mocha
- Pumpkin Spice Syrup to make Pumpkin Spice Latte
- Quick Simple Syrup
- Mint Syrup to make Peppermint Mocha Latte
- Vanilla Syrup to make Iced Vanilla Latte
Simple Cinnamon Syrup
- ¾ cup water
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- Put all ingredients in a saucepan and simmer.Stir to make sure sugar dissolves completely.
- Take off heat and steep for 20 minutes.
- Strain and pour syrup into an airtight container.The syrup will keep for 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
- Recipe makes 1 cup (16 tablespoons) of syrup.
- Use 1-2 tablespoons of syrup per 1 cup of coffee.