The best way to sweeten iced drinks is with simple syrup. Made of just 2 ingredients, sugar and water, it’s super easy to make at home in less than 5 minutes.
- Simple syrup is a fancy name for sugar that has been dissolved in water. With just two ingredients (sugar and water), it’s so easy to make at home.
- Sweeten iced drinks with simple syrup instead of sugar since it’ll mix well into the cold beverage unlike sugar which will just sink down to the bottom of the cup.
- Can be used to sweeten hot and cold drinks.
- This recipe makes a cup of simple syrup and 1-2 tablespoons can be added to sweeten your drink.
RELATED: Simple Homemade Brown Sugar Syrup
White, granulated sugar is used to make basic simple sugar but you can use any kind of sugar you like.
Use filtered water, if possible, for a better quality simple syrup.
RELATED: 12 Simple Syrups Recipes
For full ingredients and instructions, scroll down to the recipe.
- Put sugar and water in a saucepan and simmer.
Simmer on low heat and stir until sugar completely dissolves.
- Take off heat and cool.
- Pour syrup into an airtight container.
Photo Credit: amazon.com
Simple Syrup Uses
- Stir simple syrup into iced teas and iced coffees to sweeten.
- Make quick lemonade by shaking lemon juice, simple syrup, and water in a cocktail shaker.
- Whisk half & half with some simple syrup to make delicious cold foam for drinks.
RELATED: Starbucks Classic Syrup
- This recipe makes a cup (16 tablespoons) of simple syrup. Use 1-2 tablespoons of syrup to sweeten a drink.
- The syrup is good for 3 weeks when stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Always use simple syrup to sweeten iced drinks since it’ll best stir into a cold drink.
Questions You May Have
Yes! But it does take more time and effort. Put water and sugar into an airtight container, like a jar with a tight lid, and shake it vigorously until sugar dissolves.
Rich simple syrup is a simple syrup made with a different ratio of sugar and water. Simple syrup is 1 part sugar and 1 part water. Rich simple syrup, or shortened to rich syrup, is 2 parts sugar and 1 part water.
The simple syrup at Starbucks is called the Classic syrup and it’s a little sweeter so I suspect it’s made with 1.5 part sugar and 1 part water.
- Easy French Vanilla Creamer
- Simple Homemade Syrups for Coffee and Tea
- Brown Sugar Syrup
- Rose Syrup
- 30 Refreshing Iced Tea Recipes
Did you make this? Please leave a star rating below or a review in the comments section.
Want to save this recipe to Pinterest for later? Pin it now to your Pinterest board!
Homemade Simple Syrup
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¾ cup water
- Put sugar and water in a saucepan and simmer.Simmer on low heat and stir until sugar completely dissolves.
- Take off heat and cool.
- Pour syrup into an airtight container.Syrup will keep for 3 weeks in the refrigerator.
- Recipe makes 1 cup (16 tablespoons) of syrup.
- Use 2 tablespoons of syrup per 1 cup of coffee.
- To make simple syrup without hot water, put water and sugar into an airtight container, like a jar with a tight lid, and shake it vigorously until sugar dissolves.
1 thought on “Homemade Simple Syrup”
I learned from my grandma and mom how to make this. What we sweeten ice tea with.