The best way to sweeten iced drinks is with simple syrup. Made of just 2 ingredients, sugar and water, it’s super easy to make at home in less than 5 minutes.
- Simple syrup is a fancy name for sugar that has been dissolved in water. With just two ingredients (sugar and water), it’s so easy to make at home.
- Sweeten iced drinks with simple syrup instead of sugar since it’ll mix well into the cold beverage unlike sugar which will just sink down to the bottom of the cup.
- Can be used to sweeten hot and cold drinks.
- This recipe makes a cup of simple syrup and 1-2 tablespoons can be added to sweeten your drink.
Make cafe-quality drinks at home with homemade syrups like chocolate syrup to make Iced Mocha, cinnamon syrup to make Iced Cinnamon Dolce Latte, and vanilla syrup to make Vanilla Sweet Cream Cold Brew.
White, granulated sugar is used to make basic simple sugar but you can use any kind of sugar you like.
Use filtered water, if possible, for a better quality simple syrup.
For full ingredients and instructions, scroll down to the recipe.
- Put sugar and water in a saucepan and simmer.
Simmer on low heat and stir until sugar completely dissolves.
- Take off heat and cool.
- Pour syrup into an airtight container.
- This recipe makes a cup (16 tablespoons) of simple syrup. Use 1-2 tablespoons of syrup to sweeten a drink.
- The syrup is good for 3 weeks when stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Use syrup to sweeten coffee, tea, lattes, and cocktails.
Questions You May Have
Yes! But it does take more time and effort. Put water and sugar into an airtight container, like a jar with a tight lid, and shake it vigorously until sugar dissolves.
Rich simple syrup is a simple syrup made with a different ratio of sugar and water. Simple syrup is 1 part sugar and 1 part water. Rich simple syrup, or shortened to rich syrup, is 2 parts sugar and 1 part water.
The simple syrup at Starbucks is called the Classic syrup and it’s a little sweeter so I suspect it’s made with 1.5 part sugar and 1 part water.
- Easy French Vanilla Creamer
- Simple Homemade Syrups for Coffee and Tea
- Brown Sugar Syrup
- Rose Syrup
- 30 Refreshing Iced Tea Recipes
Homemade Simple Syrup
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¾ cup water
- Put sugar and water in a saucepan and simmer.Simmer on low heat and stir until sugar completely dissolves.
- Take off heat and cool.
- Pour syrup into an airtight container.Syrup will keep for 3 weeks in the refrigerator.
- Recipe makes 1 cup (16 tablespoons) of syrup.
- Use 2 tablespoons of syrup per 1 cup of coffee.
- To make simple syrup without hot water, put water and sugar into an airtight container, like a jar with a tight lid, and shake it vigorously until sugar dissolves.
FREE CHEAT SHEET!
Join my email list and get this iced coffee drinks cheat sheet.