A sweet and delicious brown sugar iced coffee drink made easy at home. Get tips and tricks to make it layered.
Brown Sugar Iced Coffee Latte
- Easy to make with either cold brew coffee or cooled down hot brewed coffee.
- Layered with brown sugar simple syrup, milk, and coffee.
- Sweet, creamy, and delicious.
What You’ll Need
There are three parts to this drink:
- Brown sugar simple syrup
- Milk and ice
STEP 1: Make coffee.
If you’re using drip coffee, make sure to brew it double strength so it’s nice and strong.
STEP 2: Stir together brown sugar and hot water.
STEP 3: Pour brown sugar simple syrup into a cup and add ice.
Because I’m adding ice, I don’t wait for the brown sugar simple syrup to cool down completely.
STEP 4: Slowly add milk, then coffee.
Make sure to pour the milk then the coffee onto the ice cubes to help keep the layers separated.
Stir before drinking.
- If you want a stronger coffee taste, use less milk than iced coffee. I use equal parts milk and coffee for this recipe.
- All ingredients can be made separately ahead of time and kept in the refrigerator.
- Hot brewing coffee then cooling it down (15 minutes) takes less time than cold brewing coffee (12 hours).
Questions You May Have
Sugar and ice. The sweetest liquid should be the bottom layer. Pouring on top of the ice instead of the liquid below it directly helps to keep layers separate.
I like to make this with cold brew coffee, but you can use cooled down, strong brewed hot coffee, espresso from an espresso machine, or instant coffee. It all works great!
Use 2 teaspoons of instant coffee and 1/3 cup of hot water and stir.
Yes, you can make it with regular milk or with milk alternatives like oat milk.
Yes, but be aware that once you do, the layer between the sugar and milk won’t be as clean. To cut down the sugar, 2 teaspoons of brown sugar instead of 1 tablespoon.
Iced Brown Sugar Coffee
- Make coffee.There are multiple ways to make the coffee for this drink: Cold brew, strong brewed coffee that has been cooled down, instant coffee, or espresso from a machine. I like using cold brewed coffee for this drink. If you're using drip coffee, make sure to brew it double strength so it's nice and strong.
- Stir together brown sugar and hot water.I use an electric kettle to boil water. This is how I make a quick simple syrup without cooking anything on the stovetop. Set aside to cool.
- Pour brown sugar simple syrup into a cup and add ice.
- Slowly add milk, then coffee.Make sure to pour the milk then the coffee onto the ice cubes to help keep the layers separated. Stir before drinking.