One of the benefits of being a Starbucks Rewards member is free refills. Find out how to order one and get the most out of this benefit!
Free Refills at Starbucks
One of the benefits of being a Starbucks Rewards member is getting free refills. But, there are rules on how to get those free refills.
You must be a Starbucks Rewards member.
Order and pay the first beverage, making sure to scan your Starbucks account.
The original drink must be consumed in the store.
To get the free refill, you must drink the original beverage you paid at the Starbucks store.
When you’re done, you can go up to the barista at the register and ask for a free refill, having then scan your account again.
You can only get a free refill on brewed coffee or tea.
Even if you ordered a latte or Frappuccino as your original drink, you can only get the free refill on hot brewed coffee, iced coffee, hot brewed tea, iced tea, or cold brew.
Any add-ons like cold foam or pumps of syrup would be an extra cost.
Free refills only count during a single visit.
Drink your first paid beverage in the store and stay for the refill.
If you leave the store for any reason, your next drink will be charged at the full price for that beverage.
Free refills are unlimited, but they can deny you more than one.
Technically, there is no official limit to how many free refills you can get as long as you don’t leave that Starbucks, not even to run out to your car.
If the store is busy and you’ve already had a free refill, the store manager is allowed to refuse additional free refills after one is given.
Tips for Ordering a Free Refill
- Make sure to show your Starbucks Card and say “Free Refill” since the barista has to choose a special code in the register for it to be free.
- This Rewards member benefit only works with a Starbucks Card, not a Starbucks gift card.
- If you forget your Starbucks Card or don’t have one, you can get a refill at a discounted price. It’s about 50 cents for a refill of brewed coffee.
- Order any beverage you want as your first one, but no bottled drinks.
- As long as you don’t leave the store, you can order as many free refills as you want. You just have to finish a drink before ordering another one.
- The barista will not re-use your cup since it would be unsanitary. They will give you a new cup for your free refill.
How to Order a Free Refill
- Order your beverage (any beverage that is made or poured by a barista) from a Starbucks store using your Starbucks Card or order ahead using the app.
- Drink your drink in the store. Do not leave the store.
- After finishing your drink, go to the register.
- Ask for a “free refill” from the barista, scanning your Starbucks account again.
- Choose hot or iced coffee, hot or iced tea, or cold brew.
- There should be no charge if you don’t add anything to the drink, so pick up your drink like you normally would once it’s ready.
Free Refill Drinks
Hot Brewed Coffees
Dark Roast Coffee
Pike Place Roast
Decaf Pike Place Roast
Cold Brew Coffee (without anything added)
Iced Coffee (without anything added)
Earl Grey Tea
Royal English Breakfast Tea
Emperor’s Clouds and Mist Tea
Jade Citrus Mint Tea
Iced Black Tea
Iced Green Tea
Iced Passion Tango Tea
Questions You May Have
Only Rewards members using their Starbucks account can get a free refill. However, anyone can ask for a refill at a discounted price. For example, it’s about 50 cents for a refill of brewed hot coffee.
No. The benefit is only for beverages ordered and picked up from inside participating Starbucks stores.
Free refills can only be ordered from a barista at the register in a Starbucks store. Just make sure to say “Free Refill” or you might get charged.
Yes. You can get any syrup, lemonade, or almost any extra added to your free refill but you’ll just need to pay for the extras. If you want a free refill of a vanilla sweet cream cold foam cold brew with a shot of vanilla syrup? Ask for, “Can I get my free refill of a cold brew? I’d like to add vanilla sweet cream cold foam.” You’ll only pay for the cold foam, which is $1.25.
Nope, Chai Tea Lattes are not considered hot brewed teas so it won’t work as a free refill. You can get a Chai Tea as a free refill though since it’s just tea bags and hot water.