A refreshing iced drink made with cold brew coffee and homemade vanilla syrup that’s surprisingly easy to make at home.
About This Iced Vanilla Latte Recipe
- Made with cold brew coffee, homemade vanilla syrup, milk, and ice. The drink is then topped with a fluffy vanilla flavored whipped cream.
- The trick to making the whipped cream topping quick and easy is to use a handheld milk frother.
- Vanilla syrup is made quick and easy by stirring together vanilla extract, hot water, and sugar.
- Cold brew coffee
If you’ve never made cold brew at home, do it! It’s so easy and you’ll save a lot of money.
- Vanilla extract
The star ingredient in a vanilla syrup.
Use cane sugar since it dissolves quickly in hot water.
Any kind of milk you like will work.
To make the drink colder for longer.
- Heavy cream
To make the whipped cream topping.
How to Make Iced Vanilla Latte
Here’s a quick overview of the steps to make this drink. For full ingredients and instructions, scroll down to the recipe.
- Make vanilla syrup.
Stir together hot water, vanilla extract, and sugar until sugar dissolves.
- Make cream topping.
Whisk heavy cream and vanilla syrup until it thickens.
- Combine vanilla syrup, coffee, and milk.
- Assemble drink.
Pour vanilla latte into a cup of ice and spoon on the cream topping.
The iced vanilla latte should be served immediately as the whipped cream will start to melt into the drink. The vanilla cream topping can be stirred into the drink if preferred.
If you like your drinks really sweet, add more vanilla syrup.
This recipe makes more vanilla syrup than you need to make 1 serving. The rest of the vanilla syrup can be kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 1-2 weeks.
Cold Brew Substitutions
If you don’t have cold brew, here are coffee substitutions you can use instead.
- Strong coffee made in a coffee machine
Make double strength coffee and cool it down in the freezer for about 15 minutes.
Add a shot or two of espresso (no need to cool it down).
- Keurig or Nespresso
Brew strong coffee by adjusting the setting so you’re making just 1/2 cup of coffee using 1 pod or capsule.
Questions You May Have
This recipe uses all natural ingredients in the vanilla syrup unlike Starbucks which uses chemicals like potassium sorbate. Also, instead of espresso, I’m using cold brew coffee since not everyone has an espresso machine.
Yes! Instead of making the vanilla syrup, mix 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract with the coffee and milk. The cream topping also uses the vanilla syrup so you can make the drink without it.
Yup! Any milk you prefer works in this recipe!
Iced Vanilla Latte
- ½ cup cold brew coffee
- 1 tablespoon vanilla syrup
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup ice
Vanilla Cream Topping
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla syrup
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- Make vanilla syrup.Stir together hot water, vanilla extract, and sugar until sugar dissolves. The finer the sugar, the quicker it will dissolve so avoid using raw or turbinado sugar.
- Make cream topping.Whisk heavy cream and vanilla syrup until it thickens using a handheld milk frother. (This is my secret to making whipped cream for drinks in seconds.)
- Stir together coffee, vanilla syrup, and milk.
- Assemble drink.Pour vanilla latte into a cup of ice and spoon on the cream topping.