Super easy mint syrup from scratch recipe for coffee and tea. Just three ingredients is all that’s needed to make it at home!
About This mint Syrup
- Don’t buy store-bought mint syrup when making it at home is so easy. It’s made from three easy-to-find ingredients: peppermint tea, sugar, and water.
- This recipes makes a cup of mint syrup that can be used to make drinks like Peppermint Mocha Latte. Can be used for coffee, tea, and any drink you want to add a minty taste. Add it to heavy cream to make mint flavored whipped cream.
- The syrup is a mint simple syrup so it will sweeten and flavors any drink with peppermint.
- Peppermint loose tea
Instead of using fresh mint leaves, this recipe uses loose peppermint tea, which is dried peppermint leaves. Because you can keep peppermint tea in the cabinet without worrying about it going bad, it’s so much convenient to make mint syrup with it than fresh mint.
Regular granulated sugar or cane sugar
Always use filtered water for a better tasting syrup.
Steps to Make Mint Syrup
Here’s a quick overview of the steps to make this syrup. For full ingredients and instructions, scroll down to the recipe.
- Put all ingredients in a saucepan and simmer.
Stir to make sure sugar dissolves completely.
- Take off heat and steep.
- Strain and pour syrup into an airtight container.
- It’s easier to use peppermint tea but if you want to use fresh mint instead, use 1/4 cup.
- Mint simple syrup is the same thing as mint syrup.
- Mint syrup can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- To sweeten and flavor your drink, add 1-2 tablespoons of mint syrup into a cup of coffee or tea.
Questions You May Have
Into a cup of warm milk, add 1-2 tablespoons of mint syrup to instantly make a mint tea latte or a mint steamer. Or you can add the mint syrup to sparkling water to make mint soda.
Into a cup of hot chocolate, add 1-2 tablespoons of mint syrup.
Yup! Make sure the tea bags only contain peppermint. Replace the 3 tablespoons of loose tea with 6 peppermint tea bags or 3 tea sachets.
More Simple Syrup
Simple Mint Syrup
- ¾ cup water
- ¾ cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons loose peppermint tea
- Put all ingredients in a saucepan and simmer.Simmer until the sugar has completely dissolved. Stir occasionally.
- Take off heat and steep for 15 minutes, covered. Turn off heat and let cool.
- Strain and pour syrup into an airtight container.The syrup will keep for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
- Recipe makes 1 cup (16 tablespoons) of mint syrup.
- Use 1-2 tablespoons of syrup per 1 cup of coffee.
- To use peppermint tea bags: Replace the 3 tablespoons of loose tea with 6 peppermint tea bags or 3 tea sachets.
FREE CHEAT SHEET!
Join my email list and get this iced coffee drinks cheat sheet.