See the steps in setting up a Nespresso Creatista Plus, how to make a latte with it, and the pros and cons of this espresso-only machine.
Want to save this article?
Enter your email below and get it sent straight to your inbox. Plus, get recipes & tips every week!
Table of Contents
Nespresso Creatista Plus
Nespresso machines are the answer to making mess-free, quality espresso and coffee drinks at home.
There are 2 types of Nespresso machines. One type (Original machines) makes only espresso using Original capsules and the other (Vertuo machines) makes both espresso and full cups of coffee using Vertuo capsules.
The Nespresso Creatista Plus is a part of the Original line of machines.
What’s special about the Creatista Plus is that the machine comes with a built-in steam wand, just like manual espresso machines. With the steam wand, you can steam milk for drinks like lattes, to recreate coffee shop beverages.
The steam wand and the making of espresso are all automatic. The machine is easy to set up, turns on almost instantly, and is easy to keep clean.
Creatista Plus makes a better espresso than any of the Vertuo machines. The Original machines use pressure (like a traditional espresso machine) instead of Vertuo’s centrifuge.
RELATED: Best Nespresso Machines
Creatista Plus vs. Creatista Pro
Creatista Plus and Creatista Pro look very much alike but the Pro is about $200 more. Both machines have steam wands, milk temperature control, quick heat up, and automated controls.
Creatista Plus: $649
Creatista Pro: $849
Creatista Plus: Digital display
Creatista Pro: Touch-screen display
Creatista Plus: 50 ounce tank
Creatista Pro: 67 ounce water tank
Creatista Plus: 4 milk froth options
Creatista Pro: 8 milk froth options
RELATED: Nespresso Welcome Gift
Why I Recommend the Creatista Plus over the Creatista Pro
What makes the Pro more expensive is that it can make both espresso and steam milk at the same time, BUT not if you live in the US.
The Creatista Pro can’t make espresso and steam milk at the same time in the US, Canada, or Mexico because the outlet voltage is 120v.
In countries where the voltage is higher, like in the EU or Australia where it’s 220v, the Pro can do both, which is why it costs more.
It’s not worth the extra cost of getting the Pro if you’re using it in North America.
Nespresso Creatista Plus Setup
The setup for a new Creatista Plus is easy.
- Wash, fill, and place the water tank.
Use filtered water to keep your machine from buildup and make a better tasting drink. The water tank goes in its place behind the machine.
- Attach the drip tray and capsule container. Plug in the machine.
- Press the START/CANCEL button to turn the machine on.
It takes about 3 seconds for the machine to heat up.
- Set language by rotating the SELECT dial. Follow on-screen prompts to prep machine for use.
Press Select to confirm language choice. Be sure to place a large glass or mug under the coffee outlet since it will run water through your Creatista to clean it. Once the machine expresses the water, remove the glass, and throw away the water. The initial cleaning cycle may take up to 5 minutes.
How to Make a Latte with a Creatista Plus
- Rotate the dial to select Cafe Latte.
Make sure the water tank contains enough water.
- Fill milk jug with milk up to the max line.
Do not fill milk above the maximum level marked on the jug.
- Place the milk jug and a cup on the drip tray.
Lift the steam wand to place milk jug. Make sure the jug is in contact with the temperature sensor on the drip try. Put your cup or mug under the coffee outlet.
- Lift lever and insert capsule.
Creatista Plus machines only work with Original capsules.
- Press the START/CANCEL button to make the espresso.
The espresso should be made first, followed by steaming the milk.
- Once espresso is ready, press START/CANCEL to froth the milk.
When the frothing is finished, lift steam wand and remove milk jug.
- Pour steamed milk into the cup with espresso.
- Wipe steam wand with damp cloth.
ALWAYS clean the steam wand after use. The machine will auto purge to rinse the inside of the steam wand.
RELATED: 14 Refreshing Iced Coffee Recipes
Nespresso Original Capsule Starter Set
A Creatista machine comes with a Nespresso capsule starter set that includes an assortment of Nespresso Original capsules.
The inside of the box has a printed guide to shows each capsules’ drink size, coffee origin or blend name, and the Nespresso intensity score.
Creatista Plus machines brew 3 cup sizes:
1. Ristretto (0.85 oz)
A single shot of espresso with less water running through the coffee than an espresso shot.
2. Espresso (1.35 oz)
One shot of espresso.
3. Lungo (3.7 oz)
An espresso but with more water pushed through the coffee grinds than a regular espresso shot. Liked by those who want a more liquidy espresso.
Each capsule’s details are available from the Nespresso website and also on the box of capsules, called a “sleeve.” Each sleeve has the size and type of coffee indicated on the side.
RELATED: 15 Best Nespresso Original Pods
Creatista Plus Bottom Line
- Creatista Plus makes better espresso than Vertuo Nespresso machines.
- Milk is properly steamed, not just frothed with the steam wand.
- Machine set up and maintenance is easy.
- Sleep design that looks more like an espresso machine.
- Original capsules are cheaper than Vertuo capsules.
- The welcome capsule set that comes in the Creatista Plus box includes pods to get you started making your first cup right away.
- The water tank means you can place your machine anywhere. You don’t need to attach it to a water supply.
- Creatista Pro can’t make espresso AND steam milk at the same time in North America. In countries where the outlet voltage is higher, the Pro can do both, which is why it costs more. Within North America, both the Pro and Plus will make espresso first and then steam the milk.
- Machine should be cleaned every day it is used, especially when making milk drinks.
- The machine needs to be descaled every 6 months, or more often if you have hard water or use it frequently during each day.
- Because it’s not a one-button automation, this requires a little more decision making for each type of coffee. You may have to try several different settings until you find what you like.
Nespresso Customer Service
Nespresso has good customer service. If something doesn’t work or you have a question, contact their customer support at Nespresso. You can call or live chat.
Questions You May Have
No, the Creatista Plus is from the Nespresso Original line and can only use Original capsules. Since the pods are shaped differently for each line, they won’t even fit in the other type of machine.
It’s best to do a quick clean every day you use it. This includes wiping down the steam wand, emptying the capsule container and drip tray, and cleaning your milk jug. It’s important to use the Clean Steam Wand option to clean the wand each day that you make a milk drink. This prevents it from clogging or getting dirty.
All Nespresso machines need to be descaled about every 6 months, or every 600 drinks. The machine should alert you when it’s time to descale. When it’s time, rotate the dial to Maintenance on your Creatista Plus and follow the steps from the on-screen instructions. The Nespresso descaling kit is a separate purchase.
Although the Creatista Pro is more expensive and has a few more options, the bells and whistles of the Pro making steamed milk and espresso at the same time doesn’t work in North America. So if you’re buying your machine for use in the US, stick with the Creatista Plus.
- Nespresso VertuoPlus Setup & Review
- How to Make an Americano
- Cappuccino: Overview and Steps to Make It
- Coffee Terms Glossary
- Crema: What It Is and Steps to Make It
- Most Popular Coffee Drinks and How They’re Different
Want to save this Nespresso Creatista Plus setup and review? Pin it now to your Pinterest board!