The Americano is a simple drink made with espresso and hot water. See how to properly make it at home and how to order it at Starbucks.
What is an Americano?
Americano is a caffeinated drink made with espresso and hot water. It’s espresso diluted in water so it’s similar to brewed coffee made in a coffee machine.
Americanos are a way to enjoy espresso without the intensity of a straight shot.
There is no set amount of water needed to call it an Americano — if you add water to an espresso, it’s an Americano.
An Americano can be made with a single or a double shot of espresso.
The proper way to make an Americano is with hot water in the mug, then pouring espresso shots on top.
Americanos are believed to have become popular during World War II when American soldiers were in Europe and wanted a drink that mimicked brewed coffee.
Some cultures have different terms for similar drinks, like a long black, which is an Australian drink closely related to an Americano.
RELATED: Latte: What It is, Recipe, and How to Order It at Starbucks
Differences Between Americano and Regular Black Coffee
Americano is made with espresso and black brewed coffee is made in a coffee/drip machine. Americanos have a noticeably heavier body and richer flavor. If you’re unsure of the strength of your Americano, ask you barista how many shots of espresso are included in the drink.
Milk can be added to Americanos and black coffee.
Americanos are generally ordered in the same sizes as you would order regular black coffee: between 12 and 20 ounces.
Some Americanos might have a crema on top from the espresso. Because espresso is extracted using pressure, a layer of crema might form at the top, which you won’t see in brewed coffee.
Americanos at Starbucks
Starbucks doesn’t follow the traditional method in making an Americano. Instead of topping the hot water with espresso, they make the espresso in the cup, then add hot water.
Making an Americano in this non-traditional way means there is very little crema at the top of the cup.
At Starbucks, Americanos come in four sizes: short, tall, grande, and venti.
Each size drink comes with a different number of shots. The short size has one, the tall has two, the grande has three, and the venti four.
You can customize your Americano to have more or fewer shots depending on your preferences.
RELATED: Every Starbucks Drink Ranked by Caffeine Content
It’s not an Americano unless it’s made with espresso. Make espresso using a Nespresso or espresso machine.
The only other ingredient to make an Americano is water, so try to use filtered water if possible.
Photo Credit: crateandbarrel.com
For full ingredients and instructions, scroll down to the recipe.
- Pour hot water into a mug.
Leave room for the espresso.
- Pull 3 shots of espresso.
Grind coffee and use an espresso machine or Nespresso to extract espresso.
BARISTA’S TIP: Always put hot water into the mug first, then the espresso so that the crema (espresso froth) can sit on top.
Nespresso Machine Notes
A Nespresso machine is the easiest way to make Americanos and lattes at home.
Photo Credit: amazon.com
1 shot of espresso = 1 Nespresso espresso capsule
This Americano recipe makes a 16 ounce (Starbucks grande size) drink using 3 espresso shots. This means you’ll need 3 Nespresso capsules.
You can also use 1 Vertuo double espresso capsule or 3 ristretto capsules.
Make sure the Nespresso capsules are espresso capsules, not the coffee/mug capsules that makes a full cup of coffee.
Recommended Nespresso capsule for an Americano:
A dark roast espresso capsule that’s full-bodied and creamy.
- Milk and/or sugar can be added to an Americano.
- Any coffee shop with an espresso machine can make an Americano even if you don’t see it on the menu since it’s a drink that’s made with just espresso and hot water.
- Americanos are popular drinks in the United States but they’re not as common abroad, so you might need to explain exactly what you want if you’re ordering outside of the U.S.
- There is no standard with the number of shots in an Americano but most coffee shops will make it with two shots.
- An Americano can also refer to a cocktail made with Campari, sweet vermouth, and club soda. It’d be rare to get these two confused, but if you’re ordering coffee for brunch you might need to clarify which drink you mean.
RELATED: Most Popular Coffee Drinks and How They’re Different
Questions You May Have
An Americano with a double shot of espresso has about 60 mg of caffeine, which is roughly the same amount of caffeine as a 6 ounce cup of coffee (about 71 mg).
The number in front of the Americano refers to the number of espresso shots in the drink. A double Americano will have two shots, a triple will have three, and so on. A coffee shop that’s not Starbucks will usually make an Americano with double shots of espresso.
When you order an Americano, it will not come with milk. You can add milk afterwards, like you would to brewed coffee or you can ask for steamed milk. The drink will still be an Americano.
Yup, there are k-cups specifically labelled as Americanos. If you have a Keurig designed to make espresso-based drinks, you can make Americanos.
Definitely. Nespresso machines are designed to produce common espresso-based drinks and Americanos are simple and easy to make on these machines.
To make the drink iced, just add espresso to a cup with ice and cold water. The cold water will instantly chill the hot espresso.
- Flat White
- Breville Barista Express Setup & Review
- Nespresso VertuoPlus Setup & Review
Want to save this recipe to Pinterest for later? Pin it now to your Pinterest board!
How to Make an Americano
- 3 shots of espresso (or 3 Nespresso espresso capsules)
- 1 ½ cups hot water
- Pour hot water into a mug. Leave room for the espresso.
- Pull 3 shots of espresso.Grind coffee and use an espresso machine or Nespresso to extract espresso.
- Add espresso to the hot water.
- It’s not an Americano unless it’s made with espresso. Make espresso using a Nespresso or espresso machine.
- This Americano recipe makes a 16 ounce (Starbucks grande size) drink using 3 espresso shots. This means you’ll need 3 Nespresso capsules.
- The only other ingredient to make an Americano is water, so try to use filtered water if possible.
- Milk and/or sugar can be added to an Americano.
- Always put hot water into the mug first, then the espresso so that the crema (espresso froth) can sit on top.
- Recommended Nespresso capsule: Altissio