The Americano is a simple drink made of espresso and hot water. See how to properly make it at home and how to order it at Starbucks.
What is an Americano?
- Americano is a caffeinated drink made with espresso and hot water. It’s basically espresso diluted in water so it’s similar to brewed coffee made in a coffee machine. Americanos are a way to enjoy espresso without the intensity of a straight shot.
- There is no set amount of water needed to call it an Americano — if you add water to an espresso, it’s an Americano. An Americano can be made with a single or a double shot of espresso.
- Americanos are believed to have become popular during World War II when American soldiers were in Europe and wanted a drink that mimicked brewed coffee.
- Some cultures have different terms for similar drinks, like a long black, which is an Australian drink closely related to an Americano.
Differences Between Americano and Regular Black Coffee
Americano is made with espresso and black brewed coffee is made in a coffee/drip machine. Americanos have a noticeably heavier body and richer flavor. If you’re unsure of the strength of your Americano, ask you barista how many shots of espresso are included in the drink.
Milk can be added to Americanos and black coffee.
Americanos are generally ordered in the same sizes as you would order regular black coffee: between 12 and 20 ounces.
Some Americanos might have a crema on top from the espresso. Because espresso is extracted using pressure, a layer of crema might form at the top, which you won’t see in brewed coffee.
Americanos at Starbucks
At Starbucks, Americanos come in four sizes: short (off-the-menu size), tall, grande, and venti.
Each size drink comes with a different number of shots. The short size has one, the tall has two, the grande has three, and the venti four. You can customize your Americano to have more or fewer shots depending on your preferences.
What You’ll Need
- Espresso machine
Americanos are made using an espresso machine but you can use any type of machine that extracts coffee using pressure like a Nespresso.
- Coffee grinder
Only needed if your machine doesn’t come with a grinder.
- Whole coffee beans
Get any coffee labeled as “espresso” or your favorite coffee beans.
- Filtered water
This drink is mostly water so you want to use the best quality water you can.
How to Make an Americano at Home
For full ingredients and instructions, scroll down to the recipe.
- Pour hot water into a mug.
Leave room for the espresso.
- Pull 1-2 shots of espresso.
Grind coffee and use an espresso machine (or Nespresso or Keurig) to extract espresso. You can pull the shot directly into the mug or into a small cup and pour on top of the hot water.
BARISTA’S TIP: You want to fill the cup or mug with hot water first, then add the espresso so that the crema (espresso froth) can sit on top.
- Any coffee shop with an espresso machine can make an Americano—some places might not have it on the menu, but if you order it, most baristas will know how to make it.
- Americanos are popular drinks in the United States but they’re not as common abroad, so you might need to explain exactly what you want if you’re ordering outside of the U.S.
- There is no standard with the number of shots in an Americano but most coffee shops will make it with two shots.
- An Americano can also refer to a cocktail made with Campari, sweet vermouth, and club soda. It’d be rare to get these two confused, but if you’re ordering coffee for brunch you might need to clarify which drink you mean.
Questions You May Have
An Americano with a double shot of espresso has about 60 mg of caffeine, which is roughly the same amount of caffeine as a 6 ounce cup of coffee (about 71 mg).
The number in front of the Americano refers to the number of espresso shots in the drink. A double Americano will have two shots, a triple will have three, and so on. A coffee shop that’s not Starbucks will usually make an Americano with double shots of espresso.
When you order an Americano, it will not come with milk. You can add milk afterwards, like you would to brewed coffee or you can ask for steamed milk. The drink will still be an Americano.
Yup, there are k-cups specifically labelled as Americanos. If you have a Keurig designed to make espresso-based drinks, you can make Americanos.
Definitely. Nespresso machines are designed to produce common espresso-based drinks and Americanos are simple and easy to make on these machines.
To make the drink iced, just add espresso to a cup with ice and cold water. The cold water will instantly chill the hot espresso.
More Espresso Drinks
How to Make an Americano
- 2 shots espresso
- 10 ounces hot water
- Pour hot water into a mug. Leave room for the espresso.
- Pull 1-2 shots of espresso.Grind coffee and use an espresso machine (or Nespresso) to extract espresso. You can pull the shot directly into the mug or into a small cup and pour on top of the hot water so that the crema (espresso froth) can be sitting on top of the drink.